Wednesday, March 25

The Labels Are Calling




Everyday I run into someone saying they love the music biz and would like the opportunity to land a job with a record company. Are you prepared to jump into shaky industry known to be very unstable? Realizing that you won't get rich working for a label but wanna meet some really cool people? Do you understand that if your not fast on your feet, hard working, entrepreneurial minded that the odds are stacked against you? Awesome lets go!

Labels are comprised into several parts- finance and business department, marketing(radio, publicity, Internet, product management), sales, A&R, and sometimes distribution. Many of these positions, you don't need a lot of industry experience. Don't get too excited because the higher the position the more knowledge and wisdom is required. Thus making your time in the business a prerequisite. Don't fret because I have a few suggestions that should lead to success.

Drum roll...Obtain an internship! Yes most likely will be unpaid but the network established is priceless. Labels are always looking for people to mail promo packages, do data entry, etc. No its not easy, but gives you the fundamentals needed to see how a label is run from the ground up. Branding your name is the business. Make that name for yourself, and when the assistant to head of Marketing leaves, you have a legitimate case that you have the experience to fill the position.

Another way to be ahead of the game is to learn as much about the industry as possible. The Internet is your one stop shop to basically anything you want to learn. Looking to become a product manager at a label? Start by managing a band so your can sharpen your skills. Want to become a promotion guru? Work at your college's radio station and learn the ends and outs of the business. This all will put you in line towards a job in the marketing department at a label. It can only better your situation by taking classes. You can enroll online and further your progression. A music business degree always helps.

Evaluate what is best for you and see it through. Just make sure your ready for the WERK!



Don't forget to come out and experience "I do Music" for yourself on the 1ST THURSDAY OF EVERY MONTH!




If You Enjoyed This Article Click Here to Subscribe



I dO Music!
"Empowering Musicians Worldwide"

1 comment:

  1. Its all about who you know. I never cared about an internship to I realize I went to school for something I didn't wanna do. I felt I lost a lot of time so lucky I knew the right people that put me in position. From there I started my grind towards my career. You'll see me soon enough.

    ReplyDelete

Type Comments Here...