Thursday, December 25

The Elimination of the Compact Disc in 2009



Merry Christmas to each and everyone who continues to view our blog and show support daily. It is the end of the year and I often like to play back a few cds that had me zoned out while handling my werk. Well the problem this year is I only bought 3 cds. Yeah I was making more moves online then in retail stores. Although cds still make for great presents during the holidays, their presence was lacking in '08.

Labels have tried forever to clamp down on piracy and sorry to say that is the hamster analogy I use often. Activity is at an all time high but achievement has never been worse. Music Labels need to emphasize on digital first for all new releases and catalog issues via digital services. The Cds won't be eliminated but moved to an on demand publishing setting.

According to Gartner Research VP Mike McGuire,music physical revenue went from 91% of overall sales in 2005 to 77% in 2007. Keep in mind by 2012 77% of households are expected to have broadband Internet. From Gartner's research, they suggest the remaining 23% will either get their CD's burned on-demand or will purchase through Wi-Fi laptops or 3g mobile phones.

It may be hard to turn your head from the past marketing and promotional practices built around CD Launches. The reality is we are in the Jestons era now and the convenience and choice factor make it a no brainer. The Compact Disc will have a place but avenues such as promotional giveaways and merchandise at concerts will serve better. Now I'm going to continue my sipping on eggnog and bump my playlist on imeem.com. Merry Christmas folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Comments Here...