Saturday, February 21

Should Personal Drama Affect Music Sales?

Should Personal Drama Affect Music Sales?



With the onset of very public celebrity dramas such as the recent allegations of Chris Brown assaulting girlfriend Rihanna, people are quick to abandon their previous fanatic tendencies
towards supporting musicians, entertainers, and celebrities.

There is so much talk about Chris Brown's career being over. But I wonder if this should be so. I mean good music should be responsible for sales, not personal dramas right? If not, then why should any artist focus so much on making good music? Its' just a deeper indication of how much image and marketing run this industry and good music does not. (Not my cup of tea!)

But, What do you think? Do you think it is important for people to still support good music , even through personal dramas?Or should a celebrity's personal life should affect their music sales?



Don't forget to come out and experience "I do Music" for yourself on the 1ST THURSDAY OF EVERY MONTH!





If You Enjoyed This Article Click Here to Subscribe



I dO Music!
"Empowering Musicians Worldwide"

2 comments:

  1. It depends. you gotta understand how consumers view artists. the product is themself, they're selling themselves to us. so if we dont agree with that they're doing, we're not going to be a excited about buying "them". its more of a matter of will it effect sales as opposed to should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will continue to buy the music of an artist despite their personal failings-especially if I don't know the facts of a private situation. I know we are being sold an image so I don't even think about that image issue. I am moved by the music not the image. I took my daughter to meet CB backstage once and from my life and career experience as a social worker and child welfare worker he does not strike me as someone who is habitually abusive. He was very sweet to his fans and seemed like a genuinely happy young man who had family support. I understand that men can be tempted by vocally and physically abusive women as well. I have seen men try to walk away and be cordial to bitter and violent women. Sometimes non-violent people snap in reponse to violence perpetrated upon them as well. I still view CB as a teenager who made a really bad move and I think he can be redeemed. On the other hand, I don't know that Rihanna is all that innocent either. She may have struck him as well which would make her no more right than CB. If someone gets you so upset to the point that you have to touch them then you don't need to be together. In the case of R. Kelly, I stopped buying his CDs. I don't think that people who commit sexual, criminal acts are able to be rehabilitated because it is a carnal act. ..."My mind's telling me 'no', but my body's telling me 'yes'..." ?? Plus, when I listen to his music it takes me to a place I don't want to go. Grown up sex with underaged kids (willing or not) is not acceptable. It is wrong and I can't support molestation because I expect grown men and women to know better (unless they are truly sick). CB and Rihanna need to reconcile their abusive childhood experiences, get counseling, move on and keep being the superstars that they were born to be. In the meantime, so long as the music is good, I will buy it. Let me ask this question, why must we be so hypocrtical as to suggest that CB's music be boycotted, but continue to play Rihann's music which actually talks about "breaking dishes and fighting a man tonight"? Why would radio stations stop playing Chris Brown's music based on allegations of abuse and then play Jasmine Sullivan's song "Bust Your Windows"? You can't demonize one and lift up another. What is our role in getting the message across that violence is not acceptable?

    ReplyDelete

Type Comments Here...